Photo courtesy of the Bailey Matthews National Shell Museum.
Take in a matinee of a slightly different sort on your next visit to Sanibel Island!
The Bailey-Matthews National Shell Museum, a perfect location to learn more about the fascinating world of mollusks and related subjects, will feature a season full of “Mollusk Matinées” this year.
Museum staff will be presenting these fun, fact-filled programs. Staff members are not only extremely knowledgeable, but also adept at giving presentations that are entertaining and interesting to audiences at all levels of expertise.
Topics will range from the familiar (shells on our local beaches) to the exotic (colossal squids). All screenings begin at 2 p.m. on Wednesdays in the museum’s auditorium and are free with museum admission.
Upcoming Mollusk Matinées and talks include the following:
- February 1: Florida Fossils with Lorin Buckner
- February 8: Shelling 101 with Alec Economakis
- February 15: Amazing Sanibel Shells with José H. Leal, PhD
- February 22: Sanibel Tusk Shells with Rebecca Mensch, MS
- March 1: Giant & Colossal Squids with Rebecca Mensch
- March 8: The Wildlife of Sanibel with Leigh Gay
- March 15: Florida Fossils with Lorin Buckner
- March 22: Shelling 101 with Alec Economakis
- March 29: Amazing Sanibel Shells with José H. Leal
- April 5: Giant & Colossal Squids with Rebecca Mensch
- April 12: Amazing Sanibel Shells with José H. Leal
- April 19: The Wildlife of Sanibel with Leigh Gay
- April 26: Florida Fossils with Lorin Buckner