Photo from Frommer’s
The Sanibel Causeway is owned and managed by Lee County, not the City of Sanibel.
As of October 1, 2021, Lee County will be switching permanently to an all-electronic toll collection for the Sanibel Causeway (and other county toll plazas) that it has used since the pandemic began last year. Administrative fees will also resume for pay-by-plate customers at this time.
What does this mean for guests?
- For those who have a LeeWay or compatible prepaid transponder, they will not be charged an administrative fee and the cost for crossing the Causeway from Fort Myers to Sanibel Island will be $6 (reminder that you are not charged going back from the island onto the mainland).
Transponders are free. To sign up for a prepaid account for your vehicle, along with information on tolls for rental cars and discount programs, go to www.leewayinfo.com.
- For those who do not have a LeeWay or compatible prepaid transponder, Lee County will charge motorists a $3 administrative fee for their pay-by-plate program, making the cost for crossing the Causeway from Fort Myers to Sanibel a total of $9.
When you pass through the toll plaza, you will no longer need to stop to pay your toll. If the system detects a compatible transponder, your prepaid account will be billed. If the system does not detect a transponder on your vehicle, a bill will be mailed to you using their pay-by-plate technology.
Note that LeeWay transponders will also be accepted on virtually every toll road and bridge in Florida. This includes the facilities run by:
- Turnpike system roads (SunPass)
- Central Florida Expressway Authority (E–Pass)
- Miami Dade Expressway Authority (SunPass)
- Tampa Hillsborough Expressway Authority (SunPass)
For more information, go to www.leewayinfo.com or call 239-533-9297.