Boop’s By the Bubble Room, a nostalgic, yummy, old-fashioned soda fountain, has just opened on Captiva Island adjacent to the popular restaurant.
Located in the stand-alone structure in the Bubble Room parking lot that was formerly home to the Bubble Room Emporium, the new ice cream parlor serves Love Boat ice cream, along with espresso coffees, pastries and — of course — the famous Bubble Room cakes!
And in true Bubble Room fashion, the space features an assortment of rare antiques.
The pendant lights over the counter and soda fountain back bar, made up of wood, stained glass and marble, were originally made in Chicago and date back to the 1890s. In addition, the ceiling holds a pair of working, belt-driven Hunter (Teurk) fans, that also date back to the 1890s. The soda fountain dispenser and ice cream freezer were built in 1948 and the dine-in refurbished chairs are from 1940s Chicago, as well.
As for the name, back when Bubble Room founder Katie Gardenia owned the restaurant, at one point she opened and ran what would be considered a taco stand in today’s times. Also called Boop’s by The Bubble Room, it offered Mexican food, sandwiches and ice cream. The current owners decided to go with the same name as a tribute.
Construction for the new Boop’s started in late 2019 and was completed earlier this year, due to delays with the pandemic. Since their recent opening, reports are that it has been “nonstop” with both residents and visitors piling in to enjoy the amazing treats.
Hours of operation are seven days a week from 8:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. For more information, call 239-472-5558 or visit their website here.
Boops By The Bubble Room is at 15001 Captiva Drive on Captiva Island.